Friday, February 12, 2010

Crossroads

The blog is back, but I'm starting over and taking a new approach. Life is going to be changing a lot in the near future, and this will be the start of a new journey.

Looking back, I remember going over a list of things I needed to do in my life before I could finally take a deep breath and just relax. I had to finish high school, serve a mission, get married, finish college, and so forth. Now I find myself approaching the end of my list and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

The problem is that sometimes the light plays tricks on your eyes, and I don't really know if I want to take a deep breath and relax. Perhaps it's ambition, maybe it's just some form of stealthy anxiety, but I don't feel like I've reached the end. I find some of my classes extremely boring and I worry that accepting an engineering job will be accepting a prison sentence with cold carpeted modular walls, steel bars forged in my mind, and a 9 to 6 sentence term.

Now I'm standing at a crossroad. I can go on and get a job that pays pretty well, I can get a higher degree without too much effort, or I can reconsider one of my earlier decisions and prepare for medical school.

The first thing on my list is to get more experience and taste the lifestyles before I commit. A company that works on defense systems (missiles, radar, aerospace technologies, etc) wants to fly me out to visit their site in California (which means a 90% chance of a job offer), and I intend to shadow a few doctors and see if the lifestyle is livable.

I just want to be happy, be a good father, enjoy life, and do all kinds of unbelievably amazing things. Is that too much? As always, incredible insights and inspired words of guidance are appreciated!